Saturday, October 20, 2012

IslamiCode app sneak peek

السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته

I hope having over ten years of experience in software development and database administration for high profile agencies has paid off, please don't hesitate to let me know what you think especially if you can think of any user interface enhancements (no matter how minor they seem to you). Below you may find the main application's screen, enjoy:



1) Sorry boys not trying to be sexist here but sisters get the cover page for the English version of the app. Ever heard of ladies first ;)
2) Did I forget to mention over twenty years of experience playing video games, hence, the magical artistic touch!?! Shhhhhhhh, you can't tell on me, you know how Arab parents do (e.g. anyone felt the flying shoe defying all physics laws) and NO it doesn't matter that I am almost thirty.
3) As promised very few ads. (so far I only have'em on three screens)


1) Not sure I dig not having the app full-screen; however, majority of the friends I asked said they'd rather have access to their clock and notification area (e.g. important text messages and facebook notifications) SMH, surrrrrrrreeeeeee
2) Don't let this question fool ya, I set the questions to easy this time... I am trying to make it accessible to kids and new Muslims too... So far I have over 500 questions, some I still don't know the answer to... lol 
3) Clock is ticking, are you gonna hit next or what???? BTW, I still can't digest having the clock at the bottom of the screen, your input is more than welcomed ;)


1) Timer changes color, you dig?
2) Say what now??? so you do know the answer to this question, don't ya? 
3) Is there a point of telling the user what question number they're on? Should I allow the user to set the number of questions they are asked before they can call it a game? I default it to ten questions now...

 1) O O h I think you really don't know the answer to this one (Timer is in the red). I have the timer set to a maximum of 25, should I make it more or less? Of course, pressing next takes user to the next question/screen...
2) Currently, there is no way for the user to escape answering all questions... Meaning there is no going back, literally... Whatchy'all think? Should we allow them to quit? 

1) You get five different pictures and messages depending on your score... This is what I got for scoring a total 3/10...
2) For those of you who are really trying to gain the knowledge, don't worry, I got your back... Questions and Answers on your hands by simply clicking on the Answers button...
3) Now, for those of us who who are just into playing games, well, I got our back too... All you have to do is click on "Menu" button then "Play" and you're up for another challenge... You can do that as many times as you feel like it as long as you are not missing your prayers or losing any sleep over it... tsk tsk

1) You can share my app or results with about anyone using just about any application you can think of...
2) I once had a Muslim kid tell me: "Why don't you come to myspace so that I can twitter all over your facebook", is it just me or this has BAD written all over it!?! Well, I got four words for you: Get on IslamiCode ASAP.... I know, I know, ASAP is not a word ;)
3) Conclusion: if the next big social thing is Instgram... I still got your back, just get on the app... Do I really have to beg you to? lol




Of course, I had to add special Facebook and Twitter buttons for the lazy ones. I also had to install the facebook app on my Samsung Galaxy III to test updating my status from my app this morning... 

 Nope, I don't have a twitter account, never had one and hopefully won't have to change that any time soon... I am not even active on Facebook but apparently it's a must these day.... lol


 As promised, Ads. are only in non-game screens... Please when you do download the app, don't forget to click on them ads. so that I can keep the development and all of the new cool features coming inshAllah

1) Don't let my background distract you... I am African after being Muslim and no we don't pet lions or use'em for protection just in case that thought had crossed your mind ;)
2) No, FIFA2012 is not the icon to my app, YOU WISH... And yes, I will kick your behind in FIFA any day of the week, just saying... 
 3) The icon to IslamiCode is Allah, just in case you're couldn't figure it out... It's actually pretty sick and almost looks like a gold crown, yet again, graphic designing was never my strength...

 1) Seeing that cool icon made me wanna play one more last time... It sucks to have to work full-time then work nights and weekends too but inshAllah it's all for improving our Umma.... I did feel very sad looking at the existing Islamic apps, yeah there were about 5 if even that professionally looking ones... There were over 10,000 apps according to Google marketplace of which half are not even related to Islam or spreading wrong knowledge... It kind of hit me hard knowing what I know and how easy it was for me to change that...
2) FYI, I have been working on this app for a little less than three weeks and this is definitely my first time developing an app for the android platform, yet again, I do have many years of experience developing in Java, administering databases and OF COURSE playing lots of video games (FIFA or Halo, anyone?)... hahaha

1) Again, yet another beautiful background this time for getting 7/10 answers right... I am telling you, I was totally trying hard to get 10 out of 10 too...
2) I am still looking for assistance populating these databases, I got all the technical experience to actually upload the data but I do need y'all to squeeze your brains and help me add more data... Email me if you want to help and push this project forward ;) You don't have to be over 18 or a scholar... All you need is access to a computer and a text editor and I will get you all up and running to add questions to the database in no time...
3) Inspired by private messages, text messages, emails and poll results so far... Instead of trying to perfect the app, I started working on a memory game this afternoon and I am adding a little twist to it, I can't wait to share it with you guys and gals ;)

Just in case you didn't know, you can NOT sue me for my bad writing/grammar/spelling/app/code or for any other reason you may think of, JUST SAYING... Why???? Because I said so in my crappy disclaimer above this line... AND no, I am not a stand-up comedian, even though, I do mess with people a lot and tell them that's what I do for a living when they first meet me... I can't tell you how many people fall for it too... YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE... I have actually graduated from U.C. Davis back in 06 with a B.S. degree in computational physics and a minor in computer science... So yeah, I do know how to write properly and I have written so many published technical documents, again, for high-profile agencies BUT I am doing this for fun and to find fun ways to help this Umma back on track inshAllah...

Well, well, well... you know the drill...I will do my best to check in with y'all tomorrow, until then, I amma get back to work and you better get back to making some extra special dua' for me, my family and the rest of the Muslim Ummah inshAllah :-)

  عليكم السلام و رحمة الله و بركاته

No comments:

Post a Comment